Music BC is excited to be partnering with Music PEI to bring One (1) Music BC member to participate in Music PEI’s Canadian Songwriter Challenge, taking place between May 17th to May 23rd, 2020 in Charlottetown PEI. Current Music BC members who are recording artists and songwriters are eligible to apply. Applications from all genders, cultures and other measures of diversity are encouraged.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Tuesday, January 28th, 2020 at 5pm PST.
SELECTION PROCESS: Consideration will be given to the artist’s history, current activities and future plans. The selected applicant will be notified 1-2 weeks after the deadline.
RULES & REGULATIONS
- Applicant must be a current Music BC member who has been residing in BC for the past 12 months (up to and at the time of application).
- Applicants must be available between May 17th – May 23rd, 2020.
- Applicants must be a recording artist as well as a songwriter.
- Artist should have a current album or digital release (within the last 24 months, or upcoming 12 months).
- In the case of bands or groups, the primary songwriter in the band will participate in the songwriting challenge.
Artist will be provided with the following:
- Travel allowance to cover return flight to Charlottetown, PEI;
- Accommodation during the conference;
- Professional studio to work in;
- Catered lunches during studio/songwriting time;
- Conference registration.
About Music PEI Canadian Songwriter Challenge:
The Canadian Songwriter Challenge (supported by Bell Media) is a component of the Canadian Song Conference and was created by Music PEI through a partnership with other provincial Music Industry Associations.
This project puts artists from PEI together with artists from across Canada to collaborate and co-write in pairs. Each pair of artists has 2 days to write and record two songs in demo form in a professional studio provided by Music PEI. You can listen to songs created during the 2019 Canadian Songwriter Challenge here.
The Canadian Songwriter Challenge is not genre specific and is open to both solo artists and bands. If bands apply, the primary songwriter in the band will participate in the songwriting process. In order to be eligible to submit, you must meet certain criteria.
Artist must be an “Export Ready Artist”, which means you must meet the following criteria:
- You must have an up to date marketing and business plan.
- You must have at least one (1) recording released (minimum 6 song or 30 minutes) within the past 36 months.
- If the recording is only available through online digital purchase, it must be listed with at least two major outlets including but not limited to Amazon, ITunes, EMusic, CDBaby, Google Play, etc. Mail order or sales limited to your own website alone will not qualify.
- You must have minimum sales of 500 units. You may be asked to provide proof. If self-distributed you must be able to provide a combination of the following:
- A manufacturing receipt to prove how many CD’s you had manufactured. o Affidavits from retail outlets attesting to the number of units sold.
- A log or ledger of off-stage sales signed by each venue manager.
- Festival sales reports for off-stage sales.
- Digital download service providers reports (3 digital downloads constitutes one unit sold).
- You must have upcoming bookings/tour in the next 12 months and tour history outside of your region in the previous 12 months.
- You must have a strong professional history (bio).
- Must have an independent or established team/infrastructure.
- Industry recognition (awards, nominations etc.)
- For groups, band agreements are mandatory.
- For solo artists, you must have a dedicated commercial bank account in place.
Let’s get started!
Thank you for your interest! Applications are now closed.