Reports to: Manager, Programs & Operations and Executive Director
Location: Vancouver, BC
Type: Full-Time Contract (One-Year)
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Health benefits package available.
Start Date: As soon as possible
ABOUT MUSIC BC
Music BC is a not for profit association serving the for profit and non-profit music industry, including artists from all genres, industry professionals, service providers, studios, promoters, venues, festivals, producers, agents, managers and educational institutions. Music BC is a member based organization that provides the industry at large with information on the state of the industry, trends, funding & educational programs and resources.
Music BC provides several services including Training & Development through our How-To Series of workshops, panel discussions & seminars with leading industry professionals locally and across the globe. Live Music Trade Initiatives including domestic and international showcasing opportunities such as Reeperbahn (Germany), The Great Escape (UK), Folk Alliance International (USA), M for Montreal (Quebec), among others. By partnering with some of the largest event organizers, we offer showcases at such festivals as Bumbershoot, Capitol Hill Block Party, Pickathon, Treefort, Rifflandia and more. Music BC also provides Touring & Industry Professional Grants in support of touring and other showcase or business initiatives.
Music BC is the voice of the BC Music industry through active advocacy for funding support, tax credits and creator’s rights. Internationally, Music BC advocates on behalf of the industry at international events to promote business and creative opportunities.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are seeking an individual with exemplary capabilities to facilitate Music BC’s Program Coordination. We are a fast-paced, deadline-driven organization looking for a motivated, proactive individual who thrives on short deadlines and enjoys working within a small team.
The ideal candidate is passionate about the arts and creative sectors, live music sector, industry development/education and will ultimately be an ambassador for our organization and the local music industry, adding value to its members within BC and nationally. The ideal candidate is aware of musician and music industry professionals’ needs, current trends, enjoys attending live shows, networking with musicians and industry professionals while being open to continuous learning about the ever-evolving industry.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Assist in the planning, promotion and delivery of programs administered or supported regionally on behalf of FACTOR, Creative BC, the Province of BC, CCD and others. Focus on, but not limited to, Music BC Travel Grants, Let’s Hear It! Live Showcase Series and Micro Grant Program.
- Program tasks may include:
- Preparing funding application forms.
- Communicating with applicants regarding questions of eligibility.
- Intake of program applications and assessing eligibility.
- Preparing application materials and rating sheets for jury.
- Preparing, delivering/receiving and filing of signed funding agreements and MOU’s for all Music BC Programs.
- Following up with grant recipients for final reports and coordinating recipient payments.
- Reviewing program final reports including receipts, analytics, graphics and results.
- Overseeing project expense tracking, allocation and documentation.
- Building funder wrap reports including recipient and Music BC business results.
- Assist with researching potential participants or speakers.
- Assist with research and logistics of location, hospitality and details of event.
- Working with Membership & Communications Coordinator on promotions, and managing of guest list/VIP invites.
- Coordinating photography and videography as needed.
- Create/Send/Compile post event survey and survey results.
- Assisting with any other aspect of programs as required.
- Attend local community/industry events as needed.
- Attend Music BC events such as board meetings, AGM, How-To Series, in-house seminars, local/domestic showcases and other networking events as needed.
- Music BC event tasks may include:
- Communicating PA and tech needs.
- General set up and tear down.
- Assisting Membership and Communications Coordinator with on-site event management; greeting and processing attendees as needed.
- Leading on-site social media if Membership & Communications Coordinator is unavailable.
- Providing land and funder acknowledgments.
- Communicate with musicians, industry professionals and stakeholders to keep them informed of the work of the organization and to identify changes in the music industry served by Music BC.
- Maintain music industry contacts and membership data bases and undertake systematic communication and information exchange along with periodic surveys to guide music industry development, Music BC and advocacy.
- Support working relationships and collaborative agreements with community groups, funders, politicians and other organizations to help achieve the goals of the organization.
General Office Duties:
- Second Point of contact for office phone calls, walk-ins and general inquiries if Membership and Communications Coordinator is unavailable.
- Assists in researching local, domestic and international industry and member news for the weekly Music BC Newsletter.
- Basic bookkeeping administration (AR/AP).
Knowledge & Experience:
The Program Coordinator will be thoroughly committed to Music BC’s mission and to support in the developing and operationalizing Music BC’s strategic priorities. The successful candidate will have demonstrated knowledge and experience in the following areas:
- Experience in coordinating and administering programs supported by various funding bodies including FACTOR, Creative BC, the BC government and others.
- Knowledge/awareness of both musicians and music industry professionals’ needs, along with current trends and circumstances in an ever-changing industry and regulatory environment.
- Experience in social media, marketing and promotion as it pertains to musicians and the music industry.
- University degree and/or a combination of education, training and relevant experience with a minimum 2-years of administration and coordination experience in a non-profit sector organization, membership-based organizations would be an asset.
- Experience in event planning and execution.
- Experience in day-to-day bookkeeping admin.
- A valid passport and the ability to cross international borders.
- Flexible: Available to work evenings, weekends and travel as needed to fulfill role and to represent the organization at events both domestically and internationally.
Skills & Competencies:
- Exhibits knowledge of company identity, mission, and goals;
- Demonstrates strong writing and editing skills;
- Communicates clearly and effectively;
- Possesses strong organizational skills;
- Is detail-oriented;
- Exhibits proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Power Point, Excel;
- Exhibits excellent interpersonal skills;
- Is capable of thinking creatively and analytically;
- Manages time efficiently and is an effective switch tasker;
- Ability to logically think through projects in a step-by-step manner;
- Collaborating with other team members to ensure effective dissemination of information;
- Possesses solid problem-solving skills;
- Receptive to feedback;
- High standards of performance for self and others. Accountable for work and responsible for follow-through on tasks to ensure success.
We are located at #100-938 Howe Street and our regular office hours are 9:00AM-5:00PM Monday to Friday. Most of these office hours are sitting at a desk working on a computer. During the occasional evening or weekend event there tends to be 4+ hours of standing however there is always an opportunity to sit. While our lobby, boardrooms and washrooms are wheelchair-accessible, regrettably our offices and kitchen are only accessible via a staircase.
To apply for this position, please send your cover letter and resume to Lindsay MacPherson – Manager, Programs & Operations, Music BC Industry Association: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applying: Wednesday, April 24th at 5:00pm PST
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.